Congratulations to – Mustang Basketball and Soccer - Men’s and Women’s Basketball won their 1st round of CIF competition this last week.
1) Men’s Basketball defeated Ramona and will compete in round 3 against Buena Park tonight @ 7:00 p.m. at Buena Park High School.
2) Women’s Basketball defeated Magnolia and will play round 2 against El Dorado here on Saturday night at 7:00 p.m.
3) Women’s Soccer defeated Valencia 2-0 and will play again next Tuesday against Ayala at Ayala HS at 3:00 p.m.
4) And – finally – Wrestling competes this weekend at Grand Terrance HS in CIF Individuals. Good Luck to all our Mustangs!! Go Mustangs!!
YLHS Men’s Basketball – League Recognition –
Junior Isaac Douglass was voted MVP of the North Hills League!
Senior Alex Godoy and Junior Eric Hezmalhalch were voted 1st team All – League.
Juniors Josh Miller and Zane Paddon were voted 2nd team All – League.
Congratulations to these players and the ENITRE TEAM for their dedication, effort and play this season. It really has been a memorable season on so many levels!
Did You Hear? -
YLHS Academic Decathlon Team, under the direction of Mrs. Stephenson, competed in their very 1st
OCAD Tournament with the following results.
• Miya Shekker – 1st Place interview, 3rd place math, 3rd place speech
• Aimee Lee – 4th place interview, 5th place speech
• Andrew Lee – 1st place math, 2nd place science, 3rd place economics, social studies, 4th place
music, 5th place art
• Thalia Hill – 2nd place math, 3rd place essay, 4th place economics
• Evelyn Chan – 5th place social science
• George Abdallah – 3rd place art, 5th place social science, science and economics.
This is a terrific start for the Mustang Academic Decathlon Team as we continue to grow and compete.
Congratulations, Mrs. Stephenson, and thank you to ASB for the financial support to start all three of our new 2014-15 academic competition classes.
Mustang Idol 2015 was filled with amazing talent last Thursaday evening. Ms. Petz and her crew
organized the event for students to showcase their talents. Participants included:
Jennifer DeBaun, Nathan Shube, Lila Zamani, Kyle Burt, Kristin Scarborough, Brandon Burns,
Taylor Frankston, Leah Basehart, Gilligan Palafoutas, Becca Van Norman, Andrew Bloom, Erica
Hithe, Julia Chabo, Daniel Kim, Nicole Ray, Fernando Cardenas;, Katie Jansen, Jessica Vo, JP
Judges had the very difficult task of selecting the following winners!! 1st place went to Fernando Cardenas, 2nd place to Andrew Bloom (Yendunian), 3rd went to JP Dabu. Congratulations to everyone!!
Mustang Jazz Band 1 & 2 performed @ Mills Music Mission, a concert at De Palma Terrace
Assisted Living Center. This is a great way to give back to our community and have our high school
students interact with their audience. Both “generations” appreciated the time to perform and listen
to some great tunes and interact with each other and share stories. Thank You Mr. Garcia and your
students!! Terrific activity.
Chapman University Holocaust Contest - just notified us that Yorba Linda High School has three finalists in the Chapman Holocaust Contest. Our top three students are Kelly Nguyen, Peyton Wagner and Marcus Reed. This awards ceremony is on March 6th. Good luck to our three finalists and thank you to Sarah Shay and Kevin Shanahan for supporting the program and our students.
2015-16 Registration Continues the week of 2/23 – 2/26 -
February 23rd & 24th – Kevin Shanahan’s 11th grade classes
February 25th & 26th – Jim Hays 11th grade classes
PYLUSD Parent University - has the following programs scheduled for Spring 2015:
• February 24th Special Education – Learning the Basics
• February 25th or March 8th College 101 – The Road to College
• March 9th Internet Safety & Drugs
• March 24th Understanding the Special Education Assessment
• March 26th Improve Your Child’s Changes of Getting into a 4-year College4
• April 2nd Technology in the Classroom
• April 14th (6 week course) Common Sense Parenting Tips
• April 16th Taking it up a Notch – Transition from Middle to High School
• April 22nd Special Education Related Services
• April 29th Transition from Elementary to Middle School
• April 30th Understanding the Emotional Development of Adolescence
• May 7th College Essay Writing
• May 14th Current Drug Trends
• May 16th College Essay Writing
For more information on each presentation, time and location go to www.pylusd.org.
Thought for the Week
“Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing
you made the effort to do the best of which you are capable.” John Wooden
Yorba Linda High School – Meeting/Activity Schedule
Week of February 23 – February 28, 2015
Monday, February 23
World Languages Breakfast – Teacher’s Lounge~
M V Tennis vs. Troy 3:00 Troy HS
Tuesday, February 24
Women’s CIF Soccer @ Ayala 3:00 (12:15 release) Ayala HS
Men’s Basketball - CIF TBA
Wednesday, February 25
Women’s Basketball – CIF TBA
Thursday, February 26
M V Tennis vs. Cerritos 3:00 Cerritos HS
Friday, February 27
Wrestling – Masters TBA Citizens Bank Arena
Saturday, February 28
Wrestling – Masters TBA
V Baseball vs. Roosevelt 10:00 & 1:00 Roosevelt HS
F/S & JV Baseball @ YLHS 10:00 & 1:00 Home